- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 baked, cooled 9-inch pie shell
- ¼ cup toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens, then cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Whisking vigorously, slowly stir 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the yolks. Stir the warmed yolks into the remainder of the milk mixture and bring to a gentle boil. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter has melted. Add the coconut, blending well.
- Pour into cooled, baked 9-inch pie crust and top with meringue (recipes follow), sealing meringue to edge of pastry. Bake in a 350°F oven 12 to 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Cool completely before serving.
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add vanilla and beat just to blend.
Pile atop pie, and bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Bluebonnet Cafe’s famous Coconut Meringue Pie recipe – as seen on TV…