- 1 8 ounce package jumbo pasta shells
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup grated Kaltbach Le Cremeux cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 – 28 ounce jar marinara sauce
- Fresh basil for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or a little less than al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta, Kaltbach cheese, half the mozzarella cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Spread ¾ of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the cooked shells and place in the baking dish. Pour remaining spaghetti sauce over shells and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven covered (preferably but not necessary) for 30-35 minutes, until edges are bubbly and shells are slightly set.
Freezing Instructions: You can freeze the shells before baking without the sauce. Just place them in a freezer safe baking dish or disposable foil pan. You can also freeze them on a baking dish, and once frozen, store them in a freezer bag so you select the quantity to bake.
When you’re ready to bake, just remove from the freezer, pour the sauce, add any extra cheese on top and bake with the frozen shells, adding an extra 5-10 minutes to the bake time.
Make Ahead Tips: You can make these stuffed shells 1-2 days ahead of time. Boil the pasta, stuff the shells and place in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake, pour the sauce over the pasta and then bake. If you pour the sauce a couple days in advance, it will affect the texture of the pasta.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- To make this lower in fat, you can substitute cottage cheese for the ricotta
- Feel free to use other types of cheeses you like instead of the suggested ones, but the combination is amazing together.