- 2 cups cooked white rice Jasmine or Basmati
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil divided
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 medium carrot peeled & diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Cook the rice according to package directions – after cooking, pour it on a plate and set aside to cool completely. Once the rice has cooled completely, break it up with your hands into individual grains.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (or wok), over high heat, until smoking. Add the rice, cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until the rice just begins to turn a little darker. Transfer the rice to a small bowl and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, heat 1-tablespoon of oil and place the chicken breast in the skillet. Cook 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cut into very thin slices and then cut the slices into thirds.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in the skillet and add the diced onion, carrot, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring continuously, 2-3 minutes or until carrots are just lightly tender and onions are translucent.
- Add the rice and peas and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil and mirin, stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Push the chicken rice mixture to the sides of the skillet and add 1-teaspoon oil to the middle of the skillet.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and season with salt & pepper. Scramble the eggs and stir to combine with the chicken/rice mixture.
- Cook, stirring continuously, 3-4 minutes, to give time for the flavors to meld.
- Serve immediately and…
This easy chicken fried rice recipe is loaded with veggies. Better than takeout, this version of chicken fried rice is easy to make, tastes great and perfect for meal prep! #chickenfriedrice #friedrice #betterthantakeout